A Simple Guide to Cycling Ireland and Club Membership

I’ve only been cycling for a few years and so I know how confusing it can be. I’ll try to break it down as simply as possible.

The first step is of course is to become a member of North Down Cycling Club.

How to Join NDCC

If you are Over 18 then you can complete your registration online. The cost is only £20 and runs from January to December. You can register online using Entry Central – click here.

For Youth & Junior Membership (aged 8-18 inclusive) please contact our club secretary directly for further information via alison@northdowncc.com – You can join the club for FREE but as a Youth / Junior member, Flo will require a form to be filled and signed by a parent / guardian.

Which Cycling Ireland Licence?

NDCC strongly recommends that all members should hold a Cycling Ireland Licence. This is not just for those wishing to compete but members looking to take part on Club Runs and Sportives. All Cycling Ireland members have personal accident and public liability insurance by virtue of their membership of Cycling Ireland. This insurance will cover you when you are out training or taking part in approved Cycling Ireland events. If you would like to be insured for training and events, you will need to join Cycling Ireland.

YOUTH Members ONLY (i.e. aged 8 – 16 inclusive) – The Club will pay for your Relevant Licence from Cycling Ireland.

Licence Types

Introductory Licence

If you have never been a member of Cycling Ireland, and are not interested in racing you can select an “Introductory” licence for €20. This covers you while you are out training, on club spins, and while participating in leisure tours. Under 16s and Juniors can also take out this license type instead of a full competition license if they do not wish to compete.

Non-Competition Licence

This is a leisure licence, and it covers you while you are out training, on club spins, and while participating in leisure tours. This is available to existing Cycling Ireland members, so if you got an introductory licence last year, when you renew you get this licence for the same options. The fee is €35 if you are based in Ulster.

The reason for the higher fees in Ulster is that the province has elected (at the provincial AGM) to levy a provincial fee upon each member rather than each club.

Limited Competition Licence – NEW (This replaces Club Competition / Restrictive Licence)

A limited competition licence allows you to compete in all domestic competition except open road races. It replaces the Restricted licence choices and also covers Club Competition. In other words you may use a Limited Competition licence to compete in Track, BMX, Off-Road, Time-Trials, Hill-Climbs, Club Racing, Bicycle-polo and Artistic Cycling. This licence is not specific to one discipline, it covers them all. It does not include Open Road Racing.

This licence is €60 if you are in a club and €90 if you are not in a club. There is a further €10 charge if you are from Ulster.

Full Competition Licence

This licence costs €125 if you are in a club, and €155 if you are not in a club. There is a further €10 charge if you are from Ulster. This licence qualifies you for racing in any discipline (including offroad, bmx, TT etc) in Ireland. If you want to race overseas you can get overseas authorisation for an extra €20, and submit/upload a photo ID electronically. If you want to race on the road in open races, this is the type of licence you want.

The categories you can select from are based on your ability, the highest being A+, which is reserved for those road riders who are on pro-teams (with the exception of female pro riders). A1 is the next highest category, then A2, the majority of the members are either A3 or A4 riders, with the A4 category being reserved for new members, and weaker/less experienced riders. The distances vary depending on the category. In general, all riders taking out their first senior/veterans full competition license must take out an A4 license.

To Join / Renew your licence the follow this link – http://www.cyclingireland.ie/page/membership

Guide in Brief

If you want to take part in club runs / sportives then you need a non-competition licence

If you would like to do our club time trials, Kirkistown races, open TTs, other club races (e.g. Ards CC), Off-Road races etc then you need a Limited Competition Licence

If you would like to take part in Open Road races (and any of the above) then you need a Full Competition Licence.

Students are entitled to a 50% discount on a full competition licence but if you are 16 and under then the club will pay for your licence.

Stephen Cousins